The Foundation’s Mission is to advance individual liberty, free enterprise, and limited, accountable government. What sets the Freedom Foundation apart is its determination to make rigorous, non-partisan research accessible to voters, not just politicians. The Foundation envisions a day when opportunity, responsible self-governance, and free markets flourish in Washington State because citizens cherish the principles from which freedom is derived. The Foundation is made up of four collaborative teams: a research team, a journalism team, an educator team, and a legal team. Its operations are primarily underwritten by 5,000 individual supporters.
The Events Director will join an experienced team in this highly effective organization with a professional, committed and skilled staff and a large group of engaged supporters and members. He or she will lead a core capacity of the organization—marketing our message and brand to a growing number of people through high quality face-to-face experiences.
The Freedom Foundation has always taken a grassroots approach to creating change, and so while it does put on large events from time to time, a major facet of its events strategy is hosting or providing speakers for hundreds of small events year-round.
Located in beautiful Olympia, Washington, Freedom Foundation’s work to advocate for America’s constitutional first principles has had great impact on the State of Washington and the free market movement across the country. It has been a leader in creating and advocating for transformational policy solutions, such as health savings accounts, performance audits, budget transparency and free speech protections for teachers.
The Director’s job duties will include:
- Event strategy: Working with the CEO and department heads to plan events that advance our programmatic and fundraising goals. He or she will have substantial flexibility to identify and shape event strategy.
- Event management: From conception to day-of execution, the Director will manage all the logistics for Freedom Foundation events, which includes managing the involvement of support staff.
- Event marketing: The Director will work with our Communications staff to create and execute marketing campaigns to drive event attendance.
- Speakers Bureau: The Director will lead our Speakers Bureau, both responding to requests for speakers and proactively seeking strategic speaking opportunities for our experts. This will require building and maintaining strong relationships with allied organizations.
The Director will work alongside an experienced team of design and video production specialists, as well as a team of fundraising professionals.
The position is based at the Foundation’s Olympia office, with some flexibility for telecommuting part-time. The Director reports to the Executive Vice President.
The Events Director will:
- Be aligned with Freedom Foundation’s values and mission and have an ability to understand the value it provides to its audiences;
- Be very well-organized, able to keep many moving pieces for multiple events on track and plan well in advance for events;
- Understand how to identify audiences and create marketing messages designed for them
- Have a demonstrable record of creating successful events and strong growth in repeated events
- Enjoy working with a team of strong personalities and be able to delegate
- Be tenacious and fearless in negotiating with vendors, venues and speakers
- Enjoy creating meaningful experiences for event attendees, and understands how to move them to take action
- Be attentive to details
- Be capable of writing compelling content for event marketing pieces
- 2-5 years of experience in event management and/or marketing
Preference will be given to applicants who have experience in:
Public relations and/or marketing in political campaigns
Freedom Foundation offers a salary and benefits package consistent with experience and the non-profit sector. This includes a Health Benefits program.
The position is currently open, and the Foundation is seeking to fill it by August 1, 2013.
To apply, e-mail a letter of application and resume to: email@example.com, or mail them to: Freedom Foundation, Attention: Gail Kramer, PO Box 552, Olympia, WA 98507.